50 Shades of Gray....Embossing Powder, Paper, Ribbon, Ink & Lace

You may or may not be familiar with a popular book series called “Shades of Grey”. It has been top of mind here in the US. I haven’t read it myself, but I liked the title and the book covers. The idea of using Shades of Gray (the color) was further defined in my head when I saw Erika’s layout last month. She did it all in Shades of Gray!

So, this month, the some of the WOW design team, “7 Girls & a Smoking Gun”, were challenged to use the WOW products but in shades of gray or black and white for their works of art.

Sherrie Suttles
“For those of you who have read just one or even all (like me) of the 50 Shades of Grey series you know how much Christian and Anna thought about each other. So playing on that, I made an easel card using the “Thinking of You” sentiment from the With Love stamp set. It’s a bit more frilly than my usual style but it’s always good to try something new,” says Sherrie.

“To make the butterflies I first stamped the images on to black cardstock. I then covered with Opaque Bright White embossing powder. After removing the extra powder, I applied the heat. After they cooled I again stamped the images directly on top of the white butterflies. This time though I covered them with Neutral Ultra Shimmer. I again removed the extra powder and applied heat. After they cooled this time I then cut them out, leaving just a tiny edge of black all around them. I then used pop dots to adhere them to the card to give them a little dimension.



Embossing Powders: Black Glint, Opaque Bright White, & Neutral Ultra Shimmer
WOW! Stamps: Vintage Wallpaper, With Love, & Make A Wish



Irit Shalom
I love how Irit can make a simple die cut and some embossing powder on cardstock look so classy! She used my favorite powder, Metallic Platinum Sparkle on the resin flower that adorns this beautiful card as well as patches along the edges of the card. She use Regular Black embossing powder over the title chipboard. 



Donna O’Leary
To quote a line from E.L. James’ book, "Well,then"he looks relieved. "The rest of this stuff is just details…important details”.  Look at the lovely details of Donna’s tag album. Even though the project is monotone, there’s still layers of interest, depth and shine.
 










Jen Deal
Finally, my own project. At first, I thought that Donna and I used the exact same papers, powders and stamps. Okay, we pretty much did. Thousands of miles away...and we had the same idea!

Inspired by a Stampin' Up project at www.myhappyplace.typepad.com, I put together this invitation. A square slip and wine charm (to be brought to the event) will sit inside this dainty box. Of course, these particular invitations need to be hand delivered. 








Embossing Powders: Opaque Bright White, Metallic Platinum Glitter & Regular Silver (mixed together)
WOW! Stamps: Brocade, Funky Border Strips (NEW!)

Challenge yourselves today. See if you can take multiple shades of any one color, like Gray, and take your art beyond the color spectrum! Hope you enjoyed our projects today. “Laters, baby.”

Comments